CALL FOR PAPERS
The Fourth International Conference of Media Literacy: Multidisciplinary Approach of Media Literacy Research and Practice
School of Communication, Hong Kong Baptist University & Institute of Communication Studies, Communication University of China
Date: 5-6 November 2015
Venue: Hong Kong Baptist University
The field of media literacy is located at the crossroad of many academic disciplines, and it possesses a multidisciplinary characteristic. Media literacy attracts scholars and educators from communication studies, education, journalism, cultural studies, health communication, language, arts, new media, etc. to work in this field and establish diversified development. This conference will be held in Hong Kong Baptist University. It is hoped that, in the 21st century new media environment, outstanding scholars and educators can gather together to discuss the new developmental path of media literacy education.
The theme of the conference is multidisciplinary approach of media literacy research and practice. The objectives of the conference are:
- To bring together international scholars and educators to discuss how different disciplines are contributing to the development of the field of media literacy and to put forward new idea and practice models;
- To explore how young people deal with digital media, including their social media lives, values cultivation, media consumption, news and information searching, creative media production, online shopping, healthy eating, leisure, work and study, social participation, etc. through interdisciplinary discussion in the new age of welcoming Web3.0. In addition, to discuss the relationship between media literacy training and the well-being of digital generation;
- To discuss how to bring the field of media literacy forward and review the criteria of building media literacy as an emerging academic discipline.
Specifically, topics for this conference shall include (but are not restricted to):
- Communication and media literacy
- Education and media literacy
- Journalism and media literacy
- Information science and media literacy (Media and Information Literacy)
- Health and media literacy
- Arts and media literacy
- Language and media literacy
- Technology and media literacy
- Cultural Studies and Media Literacy
There will be several plenary sessions and two expert roundtable forums will be held during the conference. Renowned media literacy scholars in China and overseas are invited to be plenary speakers. After the conference, the conference papers and the roundtable discussions will be edited for publication.
A 500-word abstract should be submitted to the email of Communication University of China (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 25 June 2015 for mainland China scholars. Scholars in Hong Kong and overseas should submit a 500-word abstract to the email of Hong Kong Baptist University (email@example.com) by 25 June 2015.
For further details, please visit www.comm.hkbu.edu.hk/medialiteracy2015.
Interested parties in mainland of China may contact Professor Kai ZHANG at firstname.lastname@example.org. For interested parties in Hong Kong and overseas, please contact Dr. Alice LEE or Professor Kara CHAN at email@example.com.